Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Back to Work



On Tuesday, January 3rd, I finally went back to work. I had been dreading this day the entire week before and just savoring every last waking moment with Owen. I had actually worked part time here and there for a few weeks leading up to going back full time, but it was never really bad. Owen and I would spend the morning in bed together and I'd get up to eat lunch and then go into work for a few hours. It was amazing actually. Needless to say, I was really anxious to have to go back full time and figure out how I'd juggle getting Owen ready for the day and out the door. For a month, I will have it pretty easy because my Mom is still helping us out and will be here until the end of January. The real test is how I'm going to get Owen changed, fed dressed and to day care so that I'm not late to work AFTER she leaves! AHHHH!!!

Work is flexible with our schedules, so I decided to start my day a little earlier than I used to before Owen. I used to go into work around 8 to 8:15 and work until 5 or 5:15. I am now starting my day earlier and getting to work by 7:30 and working until 4:30. Oddly, my office is normally buzzing by 7:15 and most of my coworkers are already at their desks, so it shouldn't be hard. This schedule will give me an extra 30 minutes a day with Owen, which is absolutely priceless. I am NOT a morning person by any means, but waking up to a precious baby gets me eager to jump out of bed. I love looking into his bassinet to see him smiling up at me. Nothing motivates you more to get out of bed more than knowing you have a baby that loves seeing your face!!

I'm not going to lie - as a first time mother, I toyed with the idea of staying home to be with Owen. I actually would love to ideally stay at home during his first year so I can be there to watch all his milestones and love on him. On the flip side, I also know that it's important I keep up a career for myself because it helps keep me challenged and stimulated - which I 100% need. I love my job and all the complexities involved with it, so I would never give it up. I do wish I could work from home so that I could spend some time with Owen, but who are we kidding...I'd never get anything done!! It will be difficult bringing Owen to day care knowing it will probably mean he will be sick 70% of this coming year and also knowing that someone we don't know will be spending more awake hours with him than we do in any given week. I know it's the right decision for our family, but one can always wish for other things!

My first day back at work was not bad at all. My Mom sent me a ton of pictures throughout the day and I had a huge proposal I had to get out the door, so the day flew by. My SWEET coworkers also decorated my cube with a TON of Owen pictures. It was the best welcome back present they could give me. I can be working at my desk and look up to a sweet picture of our baby boy. I seriously couldn't have better friends/coworkers!






No comments: