Friday, January 20, 2012

2 Month Well Check & Shots

On Monday, January 9th, I took Owen for his 2 month well check visit. I had been dreading this visit since I brought him to his one month appointment knowing he'd have to get shots. Does any Mother ever not get anxiety from this? I literally had a knot in my stomach for 3 days prior to this appointment wondering how I was going to be able to watch him get the shots. Right before I went, I posted a status update on Facebook stating how awful the feeling was and my sister in law Carolyn gave me the idea to nurse him immediately afterwards. THANK GOODNESS for this. I would NEVER have thought to do that and it turned out to be the only thing that calmed him. Our visit was at 11:45 and Owen was already a little crabby and hungry to begin with. He was good for the doctor and passed all his developmental tests with flying colors. When the nurse came in - he started to cry. I SWEAR he knew what was coming...or he might have been getting a little hungry. They first gave him the oral vaccination and he took that like a champ. You could tell he wanted more to eat because after the oral vaccination he started smacking his lips and when nothing more was coming, he started to cry. The nurse then started his shots and thus began the worst feeling I have ever encountered. Holy smokes, Owen screamed bloody murder and turned so red. He had a total of three shots. (WHY are there THREE shots at 2 months?? Poor babies!!!) It probably took the nurse less than 30 seconds to give him all of them, but it felt like a decade. Each one worse than the next and Owen screaming louder with each one. I was so heartbroken watching him so upset. As soon as the nurse was done, I grabbed him and started to nurse him instantly. At first he wouldn't even take that consolation prize because he was so upset at what had just happened to him. When he finally did start to nurse, he was so red in the face and sweaty. It was so sad!! He had been crying so hard he was hiccuping through the entire feeding. I nursed him for awhile and he passed out afterwards. He proceeded to take a 3 hour nap post shots/scream session. The LONGEST nap this baby has ever taken. He was so exhausted for the rest of the afternoon and barely woke up. We gave him his usual bath a little earlier that night and put him to bed at 9. He started to run a small fever, so I gave him so baby aspirin and he literally slept from 9pm to 6am the next morning. Actually, correction....he had to be WOKEN up at 6am to eat! Poor baby was so worn out!!

As for his visit, Owen is growing like a weed. He weighed 11.5 pounds and 23.5 inches. Putting him at 27% for weight and 54% for height. His head circumference on the other hand was impressive! He was in the 64%! So basically our little nugget is long and lean with a big noggin! Thank goodness his next visit isn't until 4 months. Maybe next time I will be more prepared for the shots!!

No comments: